DxO PureRAW 3 uses a number of proprietary technologies to help you get the most out of your images.
Purpose and benefits
The purpose of DxO PureRAW 3 is simple: to improve the quality of the digital images you will work with. Indeed, by applying optical corrections and DxO denoising to your Raw files, and then doing the rest of the processing in your usual program, you will enjoy the best possible results.
You will be able to generate Linear DNG files for post-processing in Adobe Lightroom Classic and Adobe Camera Raw, as well as in any other software that supports this format.
You can also generate TIFF files for retouching and ready-to-use JPEG files that to share over the web and on social media.
DxO’s expertise in correcting lens flaws and optimizing sharpness, as well as in noise handling, offers you the best possible basis for getting the most out of your photos.
In standalone mode, all you have to do is add your photos to DxO PureRAW 3, select your desired processing options (lens module and type of noise reduction) and output options (format and destination), and start processing. This also includes the option to use batch processing. The program allows you to check the results directly and compare the optimized images with the originals, before your export them to your usual photo software. DxO PureRAW 3 also comes with a queuing system specifically designed for photographers with a high throughput who have to process large quantities of images.
If you are a Lightroom Classic user, you can process your images with the DxO PureRAW 3 plugin without having to exit the Adobe program. Lastly, the program’s controls also let you process images through File Explorer (PC) or Finder (Mac).
The support for cameras and lenses (using DxO Optics Modules) is exactly the same as that offered by DxO PhotoLab.
Reminder: DxO PureRAW 3 only handles RAW files from DxO Labs supported devices. The list is available here.
You will also find a presentation about the role, function and technologies behind DxO PureRAW 3 under Help > DxO Hub.
DxO technologies used
DxO Optics Modules
After you add your images to DxO PureRAW 3, the program offers to download the DxO Optics Module(s) corresponding to the camera/lens pair(s) used so that it can automatically perform adjustments for the following:
- Vignetting: Darkening of image borders.
- Distortion: Deformation of straight lines.
- Chromatic aberration: Colored fringes in areas of strong contrast.
- Lens sharpness: Homogenization and optimization of the entire image (center and edges).
You can apply all of these corrections or just some of them in the processing options window.
To date (March 2023), the laboratories at DxO have produced more than 80,000 optics modules, with new modules constantly being added to support new cameras and lenses.
For more information about DxO Optics Modules and their corrections, please visit this page.
Noise reduction DxO HQ, PRIME, DeepPRIME and DeepPRIME XD
DxO PureRAW also lets you reduce digital noise and even remove it completely, not only in images taken at high ISO levels, but also in images taken at lower ISO levels (including daylight). This is because, depending on the camera, some images may have noise or graininess in the shadows that only becomes visible when you brighten them. The program offers you the following noise reduction technologies:
- HQ: This is the standard DxO denoising method which combines both efficiency and speed.
- PRIME: This technology performs an in-depth analysis of your image to accurately distinguish detail from noise, resulting in images with preserved details and colors. Due to the intensity of the analysis and calculations, this method requires more time to optimize your images, depending on their quantity, size, and the power of your computer.
- DeepPRIME: This technology, based on artificial intelligence and deep learning, goes even further in image demosaicing, noise processing and analysis for spectacular results that go beyond the capability of your camera, including older models. DeepPRIME can give a new lease of life to even your oldest of digital photos. Intensive analysis and calculations take advantage of the power of your graphics card.
- DeepPRIME XD: this evolution of DeepPRIME enables further fine detail extraction from images, while maintaining exceptional noise reduction quality.